View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 AM   #38
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: Blazer Chalet #0661

Quote:
Yours is a little lower but did you notice much of a difference in the way it handled on the trail after you put it on?
Not much, but that was by design in my case. I made sure everything heavy is kept low in the body. The only heavy thing above the bed rail height is the propane tank. I eliminated the water tank, sink and stove out of the cabinet. Mainly for the weight savings, but I didn't want to deal with winterizing the water system. The stove wasn't much but it was all the way high and in such a small space I didn't want to stink up the interior cooking. I use a camp stove and it's stored under the lower bench. The 3 way fridge got yanked due to it's questionable ability and being an amp hog on 12v vs modern day 12v compressor fridges. Plus it was heavy and right in the way of my seat at the full back position.

The rebuilt cabinet was truly overbuilt with thick plywood and solid oak face boards and doors. But inside those cabinets is a tote with cooking gear and other with other gear and food.

All in all you can tell the truck has a slightly higher CG than it did before but it's not overly tippy. I put a lev-o-gauge on the dash and have put it in an upholstery sucking position a couple of times this summer, but it would have been the same with the stock top on. I play close attention to it though. In the sketchy stuff I rely on who's spotting me along with what I'm feeling inside. I've backed off and taken a different approach because it was spooky.

Your setup is probably heavier empty than mine due to the fiberglass construction vs aluminum frame and siding in mine. Your CG will be higher than mine. Try to load gear as low as you can to offset the fridge and water tanks. You won't be doing the stuff I've done, so really sketchy stuff won't be a problem. You'll get a feel for it. Everybody has a different threshold for how much tippy is too much.

What I wouldn't do is eliminate the sway bar like many do in all out off road builds. You need that bar there for the handling on road as the barn door is going to catch the wind like a sail. Off road, you don't want that truck to flex like mad with the high CG. The body will lean over and really make it tippy.

I think for your intended plans you should be ok as you are.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote