View Single Post
Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #48
lowbrow454

Re: Blazer Chalet #0661

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lamb View Post
Those rear doors definitely a weak point. I had issues with mine too. I seem to remember there is a wood frame inside them?

FYI, I found the fridge was not tremendously efficient as far as how long it took to cool down. Not surprising I guess given it's a mid 70's design and really old now. It might be worth looking to see if it can be replaced with a newer unit. I was always too worried about fire to think of using the propane heater option, always thought if I had kept mine now that I have money I would remove some things like the heater guts and insulate the heck out if the fridge, maybe run a heavy alternator and two extra accessory batteries to power fridge. I used to be off road camping in mine for a week at a time.

Also, the interior lights I remember getting really hot - like almost burn your hand if you touched the metal reflector when you turned them off kind of hot. Would probably be well worth trying to find an led bulb for for comfort and less battery drain. I also thought that giant flat roof would be great for a solar panel to help keep batteries charged.
Yes the door is a wood frame with some really cheap cardboard insulation.
Gonna try and keep the fridge if possible. Trying to leave what was original to a point. Down the road we plan on building a trailer to go along with this. The chalet is great but is lacking for storage for longer than a weekend trip. Not really much will fit in the fridge and there is nowhere to store firewood, cooler, recovery gear ect...

LED's are a great idea. I can imagine with all the dark wood and those bulbs it can be a little dim inside.
'77 K5 Blazer Chalet #0661 Build thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776072
'79 K10 Bonanza
lowbrow454 is offline   Reply With Quote