View Single Post
Old 05-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
hemi43

Re: reman steering box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6768chevylover View Post
Hemi, I was thinking of doing it myself but everyone says its something that can easily be messed up.
There's nothing to mess up. It's only a few seals and a couple torrington bearings. I'm not sure what kind of shape your current box is in, but the main reason these need rebuilding is because they leak. If you have mechanical damage, then rebuilding is out of the question and it will have to be replaced. Reman stuff is hit and miss, because all they do is reuse salvageable hard parts and install new seals and bearings. The red head boxes have a faster steering ratio, and IMHO that's the last thing I would want on these Blazers. They might be fine on a pickup, but at a short 104" wheelbase, the Blazers/Jimmys are already touchy enough on the steering. I guess it all depends what you want to do with your truck. If you plan to do some off-roading and low speed cruising, the the Red Head box might be perfect. I tend to do high speed driving on long trips, and I like the comfort and safety of the stock ratio especially at 80 mph.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote