View Single Post
Old 12-14-2015, 03:16 AM   #3
MTCK

Re: 1984 K30 Project Plow Truck

In preparation for the trip north I bought a heater core, 4D battery, wipers, coolant, oil, brake fluid (little low) some ratchet straps, air and fuel filters. We wrenched in my buddy's driveway for a few hours in +15F weather and fixed all the little problems. I wasn't too thrilled with the oversize battery install and clearance work the previous owner did on the inside of the hood, but there was no time to UN-fab that before heading home.

I conned a buddy into joining me with promises of a return ticket and scotch upon our successful arrival in Fairbanks. Before leaving, we removed the plow and put it in the back with the help of the Waltco lift gate, and strapped it down on the flatbed. We filled up again and I calculated the mileage. Under 7 mpg. Yikes. Well we idled a lot. Still a single 20 gallon tank and 7 mpg means a lot of stops. I set the parking brake against my better judgement, and when we filled up I smelled brakes. The right rear was hot to the touch and it was 10 degrees out. We went to another Napa, bought a 2 lbs. hammer and a large fire extinguisher. Beat the backing plate and did some reverse brake checks. The brakes were cold when we stopped at our next fuel stop.

Just under 8 hours later, we had traversed the 360 miles and made it home. We even passed a gas station, knowing there was another one 50 miles further. The more we drove, the better the truck felt. Tires are studded and siped 235/85R16 coopers that look new. It handled great on the slick roads, and we drove most of the way in 2wd.
Attached Images

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote