View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 11:59 AM   #9
landarts
landarts

Re: Super Cheyenne aka the "Devil Cowboy"

So This truck has some good bones but there is not much of the paint left anywhere, especially on the roof. The only area where there were traces of the 523 dark blue was on the inner rain gutter and not sufficient to get a good sample. So I reached out to Best View and asked him if he had a radio delete, glove box, ashtray, or something with 523 dark blue. He said "no" but give me a minute to check with Chevyland. About three days later a radio delete plate shows up from Chevyland. So I head down to the local Napa Auto paint store and get a color match and a quart mixed up for the roof. Sent it back to Chevyland with a gift included in the box. Sure do love how this forum can be so helpful.

A few days prior I took the cowl off the truck and and cleaned and buffed out an area on the rim of the backside that still had some 510 medium blue. The guy at the counter spent about fifteen minutes trying to get a read and that did not work. So I drove back to my place and cut out a side section on a perfectly good firewall just to get a good match. Bingo it worked!

Pict 1 - Section of underside rain gutter showing the original 523 dark blue
Pict 2 - radio delete sent from Chevyland with 523 dark blue
Pict 3 - Underside of the cowl with 510 medium blue
Pict 4 - cut out of firewall side section to get a good sample 510 medium blue

One last thing about the paint. Over the years I have been able to walk into the same paint store and tell them I need 510 medium blue or 523 dark blue and they could cross reference it in their database and get a perfect mix. Now the database does not cover those years since they updated. So I will get these two colors and any other colors I have the formula for on the paint shelf posted here and a record in my personal paint book for future use.

Here is a list of paint that I have the formulas in single stage paint only:

510 Medium Blue
523 Dark Blue
511 Ochre
521 White
522 Medium Bronze
507 Light Blue
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer

Last edited by landarts; 03-25-2024 at 12:08 PM.
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote