Thread: 1956 Napco GMC
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
Bo Duke

1956 Napco GMC

I'm working on a truck for a guy I know. It titled as a 1956 GMC Napco 4x4. It's a 3/4 ton, with the rare Eaton HO front axle. He pulled it out of the junk yard, and there's a lot of mysteries on this thing. I'm trying to figure out what is original and what isn't. The truck is titled as a 1956 GMC, but he was told the original title was lost. I checked the ID tag inside he door, and at least the cab is a 1956 GMC

First- The VIN show's a factory V8. It does have an older V8 (has the script Chevrolet valve covers) but I haven't pulled the #'s from the block yet to see what it is for sure. I question it being a true factory V8 truck though, since it's a Napco (it seems like most conversions were straight 6's?) and the engine mounts are made of plate steel, welded to the frame. So either it's a old V8 swap, or the factory mounts failed at some point. Any other way to tell if this is the original cab and VIN plate?

Second- It has a Chevy hood and a GMC grill. The grill has has "100" on it, which I believe is 1/2 tons. So maybe someone swapped the front clip, and ended up with a Chevy hood?

Third- How can I tell if this is the original Transfer case? Are all these shims between the t-case and cross member factory? How about the 4wd shifter location in the cab? There's an un-used shifter hole up closer to the trans shifter. The T-Case has a name plate on it, but all I can really read is "Spicer" and 20x (last number isn't readable). I don't think this is a NP201 though.

And a couple random pics, since everyone loves pictures

Front axle

Lock out hubs
Bo Duke is offline   Reply With Quote