View Single Post
Old 06-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #17
69SCSS

Re: Test 4 Series Posi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
There's an old saying "keep the pinion shim with the housing". Changing bearings, differential case (carrier to some) does not change the pinion depth to ring gear relationship. Gear sets are manufactured to known measurements too. Their replacement theoretically does not change pinion depth (unless marked + or -)

How many axles have perfect pinion depth from the factory? Not many. It certainly doesn't hurt to check it and adjust it.

edit to what Youngpup said, working on Dana axles; test bearings are essential since the shims are the side bearings on the case. (under the race on the pinion)
I already mic'd the pieces of the old pinion shim and it's right where I would guess I should use - .027". I am going to measure anyway, but I would be surprised if the number comes out more than +/- .001. I don't want to do it twice, so I'll double check everything before I button it all up!

And yea, I'm going to hone out the other old pinion bearing I have and use it to test. Easy way to check before anything permanent like pressing on the new bearing! Now, hopefully I can get the old bearing that's stuck on there off soon
69SCSS is offline   Reply With Quote