View Single Post
Old 10-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Re: Clifford the Big Red Truck~~The Build

So when I got ready to start working on the rear 4-link setup, I noticed some issues.

When I finally got to unpacking the boxes I noticed that I didn't have a template for drilling/cutting the rear 4-link system. A quick call to Josh/John and i had it via email. With that out of the way I put the template up on the frame and started to assess what I had to do. In the instructions it indicates to center the template on a frame hole and then go from there. Well I put the template up on the frame and centered the hole, and then I center punched through the template and removed it. I noticed the oval hole on the frame wasn't situated like in the pictures of N2TRUX and the Ridetech thread. So I switched to the other side, same issue. The two previous trucks that have been done, were an 85 and an 87, this frame is a 77. Im thinking the frame doesn't have the hole itself. So I went ahead and fired off an email to Josh and John up at Ridetech, and I knew I wouldn't get a reply back cause it was Friday night. That gave me time to work on the front end of the truck. More on that later.

Like the guys have mentioned before, make sure you have a GOOD sharp air chisel, a good cold chisel and a good punch...all that and a 4lb sledge will work. The inner 2 rivets on the front coil spring plate are the worst. They will fight you. But patience and a big hammer always wins.

After you get them off you, you put the template on there and mark around. I went ahead and set the new coilover bracket up there and marked that way. I should have used the plasma cutter but I didn't want to run and get it. So i whittled away at it. And then used a flapper wheel to clean it up.

In the one pic I am pointing to a hump. It wasn't marked to be cut out but since it was poking up, the coilover bracket wouldn't lay flat Make sure you hammer that flat. After that its smooth sailing.
Attached Images

1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote