View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #13
74chevy4x4

Wink Re: 1974 full time 4x4 to 4x2 conversion

propanemudtruck, I hear ya and it'll probably be a couple of years before I break even on the gas costs, but I love the lower first gear and the fact that I'm not winding it out at 60 mph anymore. I drive about 300-400 miles per week, half on the highway, so the extra gear is nice. even a one mpg increase is a ten percent increase so I guess we'll see. I did weigh the cost quite heavily before I committed to it. I just came into a great deal on the rebuilt tranny and transfer(700 bucks) the labor is what cost me. Unfortunately, my severely sloped driveway was no place for me to do the swap alone, so I had to enlist the help of a mechanic friend and his shop.

MTCK, I didn't get any pics of the swap, but suffice it to say...What a PITA, LoL. we had to mod the crossmember, shorten the driveshaft and change the yoke, plus some other little things like the kick-down cable bracket and transmission line routing.
As I have about 5 grand invested in the truck so far, I'm not too bad off. I don't have any car payments so I can "play" a little, thank God. Momma isn't too worried...yet
Not that I'm posting anything "for sale" but I do have a fully functional NP203 with the 4X2 conversion for anyone needing one and is willing to cover the shipping. I just need to get that heavy beast outta here, LoL.
1974 K20 Cheyenne Super, 350ci with Edelbrock Valve Covers, Intake and Carb, COMP CAMs XE268h, Headers from Jeggs, 65K Volt HEI Distributor, Mile Marker Locking Hubs, 700R4 Tranny, NP241C Transfer, A/C, tilt wheel, dual 20 Gal tanks.
2003 Honda VTX-1800C, V&H Big Shots, Kury Hypercharger, grips, pegs, Darkside Goodyear Triple Tread Rear Tire, and Chrome Galor.
2005 Chevy Trailblazer(Momma's Car LoL)
74chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote