View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #5
kolle_hond

Re: My 1970 C10 build in South Africa

My new parts will only be here tomorrow at the soonest, so I took my C10 in yesterday for someone at the garage to have a look at the brakes and do a routine service (I don't know a lot about building/fixing cars/trucks, and even though I want to learn, I am planning on taking it along to family this coming weekend, about 400km away, so I don't have the time to do everything myself before then). I got a call from the lady at the dealership this morning, and she was like "are you sitting down?". So apparently there are quite a few things that need attention/replacing, including the shocks, some engine mounts etc. Total cost? R20 000 (about 1900 - 2000 USD). I arranged for them to do just the service (R4400 - about 400USD), so that I can get the truck back today or tomorrow, and they will give me a full list of things that need to be replaced, as well as a quote. Knowing that my contact can get me LMC parts for about 2* the listed price (he handles shipping, taxes and adds his commission, so there is no 'hidden costs' or problems at customs that I have to worry about. Having shipped stuff from the states before, I know I would pay a lot more for the oversized parts just on shipping if I tried to order it myself), I will compare the quote with one obtained from him, before obtaining the new parts.