View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #353
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Out of the Ditch = The Rebuild Begins ('72 GMC)

I had mentioned that the rig has a bad vibration somewhere around 45-55 mph. I have yet to have the drive line balanced, but did some research on driveshaft "phasing". I had taken the 2 piece shaft apart when I put new U-joints in it. Just made it easier to handle while using a press by myself. Anyhoo... I marked the 2 halves before I separated them so I could slide them back together the same way it came apart.

I either screwed something up when putting them back together or the drivline was out of phase in the old frame and I just never noticed. The transmission yoke was off compared to the rear end yoke. So I unbolted the U-joint straps at the rear end and then separated the 2 halves again. Leaving the transmission side still bolted up by the carrier bearing. I was able to "clock" the rear half 2 splines over on the slip yoke and now all of the U-joints were in alignment with each other.

Took it for a quick test drive and the vibration is pretty much gone! I have some road feel through the steering wheel and front end. but I have to still get the rig to a professional alignment shop. I am still going to get the driveline balanced as well.

Stay tuned...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote