View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 11:12 PM   #113
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

So with Larry heading on the road for work, I've taken to some smaller tasks. I stopped by the Bigassgas garage and picked up my instrument clusters from the 91 and 75. The 91 is in need of a good cleaning.

My initial thought was to install the factory tach and small fuel gauge in the 91 cluster, but that's been thwarted on a couple of counts. First reason is the LS swap, the pulse generated for the tach signal is not correct for the factory tach. Larry's experience with the engine control module we are using here found he had to run his aftermarket tach in 4cyl mode to read correctly. Second reason as you'll see shortly is the spot where the small fuel gauge would go is split up in three sections for additional indicators. Gauge won't fit without work. This cluster is too nice to butcher.

It's dirty for sure. Larry's sand even made it's way in here from blasting. It's coming apart to get down to the housing so I can shoot it with a better reflective color to use with LED bulbs.

Last mileage reading. Going back to zero since we are starting fresh here.

The spot for the battery indicator where a small fuel gauge or clock would go.

Backside. Not sure how many have seen an electric speedo version of this cluster. It's my first. The printed circuit is good though. No cracks.

The rest of the gauges. Just need cleaned up a bit.

The bare housing. Yellow spots on the blue are heat discolored from the light bulbs. No problem, LEDs won't be so hot when installed.

This next shot shows somebody's idea for a fix to the shift indicator. A metal plate has been epoxied on to the back side of the housing with a guide for the cable to ride over when the shift lever is pulled. I can only assume the original guide was part of the plastic housing that probably broke easy and this was the fix for it.

Backside of the plate. It has holes that slid over the existing posts but it was glued in as well. Kinda Crude, but it works.

The Odometer now back to zero to show the start of a new chapter with this K5.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote