View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #16
88Ironduke

Re: 08' Envoy 5.3 as potential donor??

Quote:
Originally Posted by e015475 View Post
I have the aluminum TB 5.3 in my truck.

I bought the drive by cable throttle body, ECM, harness and all the accessories off a truck at a local junkyard for $75.

Found a truck oil pan on CL for $40 to replace the one with the hole in it.

I don't know how they check the oil in a TB, but mine didn't have a dipstick hole in the block. The cast boss was there, but no hole. I had to drill one
Interesting issue on the dip stick. That's one I'm going to figure out... Thanks.

I do like the drive by cable versus DBW scenario. I did a 81' Firebird with a Tahoe 5.3 that went well but the DBW was a bit of a PITA. I tried to route/integrate the harness into the bulkhead connector for a clean install but it was subject to varying resistance values, then I learned just how sensitive the TPS/TAC module values are it would randomly go into low power mode. A continuous uncut TAC harness fixed it but it took a little bit of head scratching with a meter to figure out what was happening. Need to invest in a PICO....

I'm pretty certain that GM does not produce a DBC setup in the Gen4 engines so the DBW will most likely be staying. I am going to have to source a new pedal assembly as mine is the adjustable type.

Paul

My Build Thread: Project 72' Green
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=587932
88Ironduke is offline   Reply With Quote