View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 02:26 PM   #6
jonmc56

Re: Control arm assembly - threading the caps “cups” properly.

I didn't grease the serrations on the outside of the cups, I didn't want them to have any more reason to want to back off, although this is probably just being paranoid.

Regarding cleaning out the old paint.... I thought about using a wire brush on a dremel, but was cautious about not wanting to increase the diameter of that opening at all. Again, probably paranoia.

Never thought about doing this with the bars mounted to the cross member. My only concern would be, will the bar stay exactly centered in the lower control arm? If it isn't centered, one of your cups will come up tight too soon, the other will have a gap. The other thing is just ensuring you have enough working room to get good leverage and still hold everything still. The bench vise worked well for me for that reason.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowguy View Post
Wow. What a great description. Thank you. I’ll be using your method for sure. A couple of questions;

Did you grease the cup out threads that thread into the serrated part of the control arm? When I disassembled the old ones it almost looked like they used pipe dope of some sort. Maybe it was just old greas.

The bars are mounted to the cross member as seen in my pics. I assumed this may help keep it all stationary as I tightened. I thought I’d actaully mount it all up to the frame before final tightentening to help even more. Since you done it already, is there something I’m missing that makes this not possible?

I was going to use a dremel with a stainless brush to clean out the serrated hole on the control arm. I did the exact same thing and got por 15, top Cote primer, and chassis black In there.
jonmc56 is offline   Reply With Quote