View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
storm9c1
*** That's interesting ***

Re: Installing harmonic balancer on 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Ditto, engine oil on a hot day in traffic is EASILY 220-240° Ideal is a press so your not 'hammering' on the thrust bearing,, but what'cha gonna do if you can't put the engine in a press.
I'm sure some people are scratching their heads now thinking "well if oil gets that hot and the crank gets that hot, why aren't the balancers just falling off all the time?"

And the answer to that is if you heat the crank AND the balancer at the same time, the connection remains tight because both expand together.

The heat trick only works when the item with the hole is heated and the item with the post is cool (even freezing if you can do so with smaller parts). The temperature "delta" between the two parts is key.

So if you try heat and fail, be sure to let the crank cool down before you try again.

I bet you can push up to 300 degrees on that balancer, but I was afraid of suggesting a temp that high...I've had success with 220 degrees or so. But it was still quite tight. 300 might completely free it up. I'm not sure how much heat the seal can take. It must withstand at least 250...

If you decide to use a drill and tap, do not break off the tap in the hole. Be very careful. Use the correct drill bit required for the tap, center punch the crank (if there is no dimple there already), drill a pilot hole with a small bit and make sure it is straight and level, then go to the larger bit. Use lots of oil on the tap. And finally, use a grade 8 bolt to pull the balancer on.
2011 Chevy Caprice PPV 9C3 6.0L
1995 Chevy Caprice 9C1
1994 Chevy Caprice 9C1 #3
1995 Chevy Caprice Wagon #2
1995 Chevy Impala SS
Mopar by night...
1969 Dodge Charger
1972 Chrysler Newport 2dr Hardtop (27K miles)

Plus others...

Last edited by storm9c1; 10-14-2011 at 03:53 PM.
storm9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote