View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Summabish

Re: Lower ball joint replacement write up

Nut will sometimes come off with a wrench but if not just use a 15/16in socket and impact wrench and it will come right off, separate axle and pull steering knuckle off lower ball joint, set out of the way(I just set it up on top of the upper control arm.

Next is lower ball joint removal, there is a few ways you can do this, air chisel the head and pry off, drill off the rivets heads and pry off, or the way I did which is using a center punch make a starter mark in the top of each rivet, then using a 1/8in drill bit and drill drill down about a good 1/8-1/4 inch into head, take a chisel and hammer and indent all the way across the head along the drill hole, then chisel off(I used a hammer and chisel which takes longer but easier for me to control and manipulate with out scarring up the control arm.)

Now pry old ball joint out with pry bar, I will put up a fight but if your not a girly man you should have no problem.

Now before you put everything back together and after you have a celebration ensure your old part matches your replacement(some times computers and people make mistakes and you could have the wrong part.).*

Now time to install, light up holes and hand snug the suppliers hardware, in this case it was four 12mm bolts and 4 13mm lock nuts. *Tighten them down until they are good and snug and no movement or play in ball joint housing.

Rejoin axle head to steering knuckle and rejoin ball joint to its location on the knuckle and tighten down, make sure your axle splines mate and no binding. *Then install cotter pin supplied and bend around nut.

Repeat upper ball joint procedure in reverse order using new cotter pins(at any parts store or hardware store) don't reuse old cotter pins unless your in a pinch.*

Reinstall axle nut and tighten down using 36mm socket and impact wrench, make sure to reuse all hardware you took off except the old cotter pin.

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device