View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 08:28 AM   #346
HO455
Post Whore

Lightbulb Re: Working Man's Burbon

Got everything except the kickdown switch hooked up. The old intake had the original kickdown bolted to it on the front side of the carb with a piece of plumbers strap holding down so it sort of made contact with the throttle. By switching to a factory manifold and having to have an adapter for the Edelbrock card means the old switch and bracket won't work as the angle is way different. So I am gnoring that for now. New spark plug wires went on and during that operation I discovered that #4 and #7 plug wires were swapped. It took a couple of minutes of confusion to work through this as the truck idled well and I didn't think there was a problem but the wires were just not following the firing order cast in the intake. After checking with Chilton to confirm the intake casting was correct and how the distributor should be oriented the problem was confirmed. Which would account for the general lack of power the old engine had and it's reluctance the start when hot. Filled the cooling system and primed the oil system and we were ready to go. The engine fired right up and we set the idle for 2200 to break in the cam. About every five minutes reset the idle up or down a couple hundred RPM. At about the 15 minute mark the engine developed a vibration just after resetting the idle. I decided it must be a misfire and a quick check of the plug wires confirmed #5 had popped off the plug. Of course it is the most inaccessible one on the engine. The decision was made to shut down the engine and cool the header with water as quick as possible to replace the wire and restart the engine. 90 seconds later and a bit of burnt flesh the wire was back on and we restarted the break in. All went without issue after that. Finished the cam break in and I headed to the interstate and hit every on ramp on the 205 for all the truck was worth to get the rings to seat. It is faster than before but not what I would consider quick. The tune on the carb is definitely still rich even though this engine is 40 plus cubes larger. But it LIVES! And the Edelbrock is going away anyway.
The other thing we noticed is the power steering pump pulley has a serious wobble to it. It looks as I will have to fight with the pump some more. I am also not really thrilled with the current pressure hose from the pump as the crimped on the hose area nearest the pump cannot be routed without it touching either the pump mount or the motor mount or both. There is less than 1/32" from the motor mount and that was the best I could get it. And like other things on the truck the metal tubing coming from the pump has been twisted and is partially collapsed.
But at the end of the day no leaks, or failures, and who knew the oil pressure guage could go that high! The oil pressure, hot idling now is higher than the old motor was just after start up on a stone cold frosty morning.
And thanks to Karl and Johnathan for there help.

This posting was done while listening to the Bodeans.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WGho9tOIcbQ
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 05-01-2018 at 08:39 AM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote