View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #51
NC_John

Re: 1970 C10 LWB "Blu"

I got the machine shop to go over everything for me- the block, heads and crank.

They magnafluxed everything and made sure it was good to go. The block got hot-tanked, bored 030 over, new cam bearings got put in and I had them install the freeze plugs. The crank got checked out and just needed a polish to make good as new. The heads got the works. Decked, new hardened valve seats, new guides and valves. They installed my comp cam valvetrain parts and checked the springs against the lift of the new cam I was putting in.

I got my stuff back and it looked fantastic- like brand new.... Pretty cool for 43 yr old parts...

I got a bunch of performance parts from summit and jegs and some basic parts (bearings, rings, new 030 over pistons) from the machine shop. My garage looks like a UPS truck exploded. (which answers the question - what does a pair of head gaskets cost? about $1,500 in machine work and other parts!)

On Friday I gave the block a final soapy hot water wash with dawn dishwashing detergent and a hot water pressure washer at work. I cleaned, cleaned and cleaned it again.

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote