View Single Post
Old 06-13-2022, 04:39 PM   #121
LT7A

Re: 1963 VW Convertible Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
They're from Diamondback, they're just normal radials that they shave, add a whitewall to, and stamp the logo in.

The tape is rolled back to create a softer edge, and I try to not spray as heavy near the tape. Then I use a thin and flexible plexiglass block to cut down any primer edges. The hard face of the block really helps to level an primer edges/high spots/texture. Normally I wouldn't tape off areas that small, it makes for more work knocking the edges down flat with the surrounding paint but I wanted to keep as much of the old paint as possible.

The flattening agent was from Southern Polyurethanes and can be mixed in with clear or single stage to adjust how flat or glossy you want the finish to be. This was around 7%. They've discontinued it but PPG sells a similar product that works the same way.
Thanks, that makes sense. I am painting areas on a truck where the previous owner put filler on some dents and sanded it down. And then covered an area that was 40% bigger than the affected area, using a contrasting primer. It makes sense to limit the spray.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote