View Single Post
Old 03-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #39
68Gold/white

Re: Just bought this '67 lwb - sat on a farm most of it's life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby0099 View Post
Hey 68Gold/White,

Thank you, yes S. Plainfield is in the constipated state of New Jersey.

I agree, the Cab is where most of the effort and cash is going to go. Although it doesn't completely need it, I am most likely going to get an entire floor and just replace the whole thing. Going to build a rotisserie first so I can comfortably replace all the bad metal.

Drum Brakes - yes I really would prefer big brake disc conversion but I want to give the drum brakes a chance. I'll put in a power booster and drill some holes in the drums. Is there any other reason you hate drum brakes other than their problems with brake fade?

Good point on doing the rear 5 lug conversion first, I just want to keep the wheels as they are, at first. Down the road I can get 5 lug wheels.

For lowering I was going to 'assume' that the springs still have life in them, however for sitting so long they probably pitted too much to really expect a lot. I think i'll just cut a coil out for each and see how they last.

What do you think about a SWB conversion? I have so much work to do on the cab I may not have the patience to cut up the frame as well. I think with this truck it's going to be a driveable work in progress, so once im done with the metal work then I can see if that's what i want. I may wait to get a bigger place to do so.

I think the order should be clean up the frame, rebuild components and then start the majority of metal work. I'll be able to make more progress that way and then I can take my time with metal work. I know how to MIG weld but I need practice to learn how to TIG first.
Drum brakes are at their best when new, w/ all new components, then they are still not good stoppers compared to disc (2 wheel disc, 4 wheel disc is not needed, my opinion).
Drums act goofy when wet, and I'm a fan of all things Chevy, but they used 11X2 shoes, front and rear, not enough friction area on fronts, my opinion.

Folks cut in front of you in traffic, have no idea that that seemingly large distance you were leaving in front of you, was so that you could stop your 4 wheel drum 4500 pound antique pickup (complete w/ antique original brakes)

Drilling 6 lug drums for 5 lug conversion can be done, however one of the 5 holes overlaps one of the original 6 lug holes. Just buy a set of 5 lug drums for a 73 w/ 11X2 shoes. Same goes if you are thinking of converting your 6 lug axles. Beware center pilot hole in drum/on axle is larger on 6 lug stuff.

I might do the drum deal for a year or so on my 67, converting rear to 5 lug, using stock wheels, they are abundant and cheap.

I plan to leave front springs as is on my 67, they sag some from age, and suspension geometry can get screwy, even though there are answers to that deal, they also cost $$$, I want my ride to be a usable pickup, function wise.

I'm not a big fan of the short bed deal, when you haul stuff, ALL the weight is on the rear axle. It's a lot of work, many builds here w/ detail how to do it, just not my deal. If I wanted a cowboy cadillac, I might go the short bet route...LOL

Keeping stuff driveable is a GOOD thing, once it starts sitting you can't drive it, and someone will not like that, wife, neighbor, city laws...etc.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote