Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
nice job!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Looking good Vic! Powder coating will be super tough too.
Hey John, since this whole thing has morphed into another dimension, the powder coat will fit right in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Wondering if this will require a reinforcement plate on the back side of the frame? Or are you of the school of thought that the weld is stronger than the surrounding metal? Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Yep, reinforcements top, bottom and inside. Too risky to depend on just the welds, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Looks great Vic
Thanks, Keith!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Nice work Vic. I knew you'd get it sorted.
Wish I could say it's sorted, Duane, but I have a ways to before it's ready for the powder coater.

Today I gently tweaked the driver rail on the donor frame to pull it in where it needed to be and re-welded the brace to hold it. Then I got busy trying to get it all aligned. To make a very long story short, the issue may have been more in the rear section than the front. To get everything square, I'd need to remove about 3/8" from the donor rail on the driver side. This made the laser happy, but screwed up the other measurements.

So I went back to basics and measured the X where the bed mounts to the frame. Way off. Now mind you, this has been to two different frame shops and both specifically stated the X measurement was on the money. By my reckoning, one leg is 77-5/8" and the other is 76-7/8"... a full 3/4" difference over a very short span. If I could squeeze it back to square, the 3/8" I need would be right there. Now the $64K question is how to do that, if it's even possible.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote