View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #311
smbrouss70

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
What’s your jig look like? Been pondering this myself for the conversion...
I just screwed a couple of 6x6 blocks that I had to a half sheet of 1/2" plywood and traced the outside and holes of the perches from a stock axle housing. I used a plumb bob to mark the center of the pinion on the plywood and used a digital angle finder to get the angle of the pinion as it sat on the wood blocks. Once I had the perches off of another axle, I screwed them to the wood blocks where they matched up with my marks, set the axle housing in the perches, centered the pinion with the plumb bob and raised the pinion til my angle finder matched what I had before. Then I tacked the perches to the axle tubes and rechecked eveything before I fully burned them in. Not overly technical, but it works. I believe 4x4 blocks would work or even stacked 2x4's, but I didn't try them, it just has to have enough height to keep the center housing off of the plywood. This is the only picture that I have that shows my redneck jig.
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is online now   Reply With Quote