View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #16
burnin oil

Re: 67 c30 cummins swap

My SBC single held way more power than it was rated at and never slipped. It was abused hard with alot more than 500HP. After breakin grabbyness was almost stock in feeling. As dieselwrencher was saying the organic street duals are the best compromise. Mine is a 3250 which is identical to the 3600 except doesn't have the SFI rating. Avoid anything kevlar and go organic or organic with metal in it. Same principal as upgraded brake pads. In my diesel trucks I do spend money on good clutches but my gassers just get cheap 12" upgrades. You are paying for a quality clutch with alot of clamping force. Avoid centerforce clutches. They use centrifical force (unless they came out with a new model) to get more pressure which is fine in a high winding mill but Cummins are brutal right of idle. As far as single vs dual I will stand behind the single unless you drive like a total idiot. You can still come off the clutch hard then dump the throttle and it will live a long life. Something has to give when you dump the clutch like a sled puller and it is going to be the weakest link. You just hope that its the cheapest part. My 5500 puts enough power to the ground that I shattered a driveshaft flange! No I do not abuse the truck as it is a tow vehicle but the clutch never missed a beat. Torque will always find the weakest link.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote