Thread: rough surface
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
hugger6933

Re: rough surface

It can be done either way. I think in this case I would spray 2 coats of epoxy primer. Then after plenty of curing time I would scuff it up and add the filler, Probably use a finishing putty [2 part]. It is like body filler only it is a lot lighter and can be used on top of paint or primer. I like it because of its thinner and more workable . After the finishing putty, [you will have to decide if it is needed or not due to the size and depth of the pitting] I would follow that with 2 to 3 coats of high build primer. After the first high build primming I would sand it down with 220 grit on a da sander then recoat with high build. Then giude coat it with either your chice of spray type or rub on powder type of guide coating. Block sand on a long board with 220 grit then Once more with the high build primer. I know it sounds like a lot of primer and it is , but most will end up as sanding dust on the shop floor. After the last prime get the long board back out this time with 400 grit and block it out . Then you are ready for sealer [if you plan on using it] or the paint . Good luck and happy sanding
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote