View Single Post
Old 10-27-2017, 09:51 PM   #20
72kool

Re: Opinions wanted! seriously, they are

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
How bad is the rear main leak? It is not fun to fix in the truck. I've used a sneaky pete before, will never do that again. All that work and it still leaked... Personally, I'd save it for a total rebuild unless it's just pouring out. Or, pull the engine Sorry, this is a bit of a pickle - it's hard to do things the right way like you'd really like to when pressed for time and budget is an issue. Have been in the same position before, and it sucks.

That's exactly the situation. I want to get this a reliable daily driver. To do that it needs fixed. I don't want to be checking fluids every day to make sure I don't ruin the engine. When I drove it every day, I'd put in 1-2 quarts about every two weeks.

Im not one to do an okay job, I want it done right. Budget and time are big restraints. I don't mind it being torn apart for a week. But I want it simple so it's not a month long project that never gets done. Atleast I can drive it now even though it leaks. Can't drive it if the engine is in fifty pieces across the garage.

If I have to wait 8 months and save for a crate engine because that's the best choice to do it right, I guess I will. Not what I want because I've put this off for 7years now, but that's life. If its a bad idea to swap out the cam, heads and nothing else,im not going to waste my time and money doing what I had originally planned, just to do it wrong and ruin the engine and have nothing in the long run.

What would be my best choice for a swap in engine? Where is the best deal, and what is the best engine?