View Single Post
Old 08-08-2017, 11:07 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Any recommendations for a transmission jack and process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
on the flex plate/torque converter bolts...you'll need to rotate engine (not cranking) to get to the rest of the bolts..

transfer case ...refers to 4 wheel drive vehicles. .it transfers driven power to the front axle

on lifting as a whole unit ...I would be leary of pulling engine and trans with only a carb lift plate..that's a chunk of weight...lift with accessory bolt holes on each head front and back..

sitting a engine and trans on the floor is no problem..engine by itself will not sit upright..youll need to put wood blocks or something under at the front of oil pan to hold it upright

seperating engine and trans on floor is no issue..remove the 6 trans to engine bolts and slide it back..its on dowels so it may stick a little till it clears the dowels
Thank you. When it's on the ground I'll support the block with the hoist as well. Once the transmission off I'm mounting the block onto a stand. Getting ready to pull the brakes first. I've removed near everything off the truck, yet to this day I've never done a brake job. Then comes the suspension & drive shaft. Then engine and transmission, and the ground up begins.

And yeah, the carb plate is out. I think Ill skip the transmission jack as well.

I'm off to ponder Killer Bees instruction before a proper response. Wholly cow. This is all great info., very helpful.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 08-08-2017 at 11:18 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote