View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 01:24 AM   #14
TravisH

Re: caddy 500 vs gm crate 454

Ok, to clear some things up:
I have a 72 thats going to be my fun truck, biggest load will be a quad or a small party trailer.
Fabrication is not in any way a deterent or limit. My frame is painted but if I'm going to change anything now is the time.
The exact 454 I'm looking at is the GMPP 454 HO with hydraulic roller cam and forged internals. If I get a caddy it will be rebuilt regardless of whether it needs it. I'm doing it right the first time

Price is not a major factor. I haven't looked into the cost of rebuilding a caddy but I figure I will spend approximately the same money as the 454 so its a scratch. If one does end up being $1000 more it only means I have to save a little more. Wouldn't the front accessories for the caddy be roughly the same as a BBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASKA ALUMINUM BEAR View Post
The more then afew folks i know that went over to a caddy engine-love the darn things-but ended up costing more then they originally though
So does everything. Its all going to cost more than I think

Quote:
My self, i would tell you to go 383 stroker 550 lb tourque at 480 hp or there abouts after being dynoed 4 times;; and gets 15 mpg on the highway and 10mpg towing a 5 ton trailer and the nos shot at 25hp for towing is lots of fun when big fords pull up...
A 383 was my original intent but if I go big block, nows the time. Those numbers are pretty impressive, would you mind posting the details?

Quote:
...go with the caddy-all my friends that did are now caddy engine crazy;;;or go sbc stroker-forget the bbc great engines but everyone has them....
Yeah, the cadillac definitely has a bit of uniqueness to it, but I don't care. I'm not trying to fit in with the crowd or stand out, I'm building what I want. SBC strokers aren't exactly rare either. Everyone may have a BBC but you said yourself they're great engines and the popularity drives the aftermarket support.

Longhorn Man, what did you mean by the ratings being net? Is the vehicle weight subtracted from the numbers or something? How would you go about getting the gross values?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, they've been really informative. Lets try and not turn this into a pissing match
TravisH is offline   Reply With Quote