View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 04:15 PM   #1
Northwest Outlaw

'61 Apache "BoomStick"

*recreating my "build thread" that started in the New Member area.

Seattle, WA. Recently purchased my first home and have a garage now, so what else would I do with it beside start a car project! Some how convinced the lady to let me do this and after a two weeks of Craigslist scouring I am starting my first ever car project.
The craigslist ad was for a "1962 Chevy Apache Rat Rod" aka, clapped out truck that he no longer had time for. It was far from what he led me to believe, but I had driven an hour and half with my brother and a uhaul trailer so I wasn't leaving without my truck. Settled on half the initial trade value and towed home the truck PLUS a 350 small block and turbo 400 transmission. Another added bonus was the spare windshield, extra stock dash cluster and an Edlebrock Performer intake for the 350.
Turns out the truck is a '61 not the '62 he thought, and it didn't "run and drive fine" as he advertised it. Also i'm pretty sure is got a different engine at some point in history. From what i've gathered on the interwebz it looks like a IL6 250? definitely not the 230(235) he said it was. Wiring is a mess, spark plugs look like they've been at the bottom of a swamp and there aint a single panel untouched by some level of rust cancer. But she's MINE!!
I have big plans, but aint got a big budget or all the know-how. My brother is a new mechanic and loves building cars, so i will be buying him a lot of beer over the next couple years. I'm embracing the slow process and the rat rod look it's going to have for a bit. I'll start a build thread at some point, when I have something worth sharing. Until then, any advice or encouragement is welcome. I know she aint a looker, but hopefully she'll go fast and make the neighbors hate me!
-Peter
Pictures: Craigslist Ad, First look at engine, On the trailer coming home
Attached Images

Northwest Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote