View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
s10mk

Re: Auto transport service

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
You certainly have a truck that could pull a car trailer. Do you have a trailer or can you rent one (Uhaul)? Where are you bring it from? You are in the Northeast so if you would be trailering it across the north, it could be a harry time to pull a trailer through snow and ice. You can probably figure 8 mpg ave. plus tolls to wherever and back, and you need whatever time off. You will take the most pains in trailering it home because its your baby - if it is economically feasible to do so. I've had a couple vehicles shipped - a 67 Bel Air wagon from Las Vegas and a 70 Burb from St. Louis. Not happy either time. On the wagon, it drove onto a seven car carrier in Vegas. When it got to my house it was being pulled by a flat bed with a wheel lift for the last 400 miles (dumped to another carrier) on rear tires that were dry rotted and a rear end that hadn't been checked to determine if it had gear oil in it - Oh and it no longer ran. Some punks beat the snot out of it at the yard in Ohio and jumped/bent several push rods. The Burb just took a few weeks but it also wouldn't start on arrival. That just needed a battery.
My truck does tow really well, 4-wheeling was my old hobby and I used to haul 8500-9000# on a regular basis. But I no longer own a trailer, so I would be renting a trailer. I checked with uhual, and if I rented their trailer in Albuquerque NM (hypothetical) and used it to tow back to Pennsylvania(1600 miles), the rental would cost approximately 300, which I felt was reasonable.

The weather is potentially always a problem in the northeast, but I'm pretty experienced with driving and towing in bad weather, and I have a pretty good idea when it's time to pull over, go to sleep, and ride the storm out.

I guess I had never considered the possibility of having such hacks do the towing for me, but I guess that's the gamble you take when you go through any kind of broker.

The one thing that appeals to me about driving to get a truck myself is that if something is wrong with the truck that wasn't described or pictured, I can always just walk away. Wheras if I have it hauled, I own it at that point.

1972 Chevrolet c20 350/350

1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS/ 6.0 lsx

Last edited by s10mk; 02-12-2018 at 02:12 PM.
s10mk is offline   Reply With Quote