Thread: Jack stands?
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Jack stands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1074 View Post
What's the best and safest way to jack stand your truck without a lift? Four jack stands on the frame ? Six ?

From my experience you pretty well have to start off with four jack stands, two in front and two at the rear. This is because the adjustment for common stands is limited, while the frame is uneven. Then sneak some in the middle someplace after the frame is lifted. Just adjust those, by sliding them front or back until you find a spot.

Be sure to pull the middle jacks out of the way before you lower the truck (gulp!). They're only there for just in case.

Nothing wrong with adding a block or two, and/or added support with floor jacks. If that's an entire truck on jack stands, imagine how it would feel to crash down on you IMO, four jack stands isn't enough.

My frame is bare less an engine and trans. It's currently supported by two stands at the rear, two stands near the front leaf spring mounts. Blocks I made for the engine cross member, an engine hoist and transmission jack............. Getting ready to pull the engine. Before that disaster, the frame was supported by four sets of jack stands...... Better to error on the side of caution.

I'd raise and lower the front and back a little at a time. Last thing you need is a jack stand slipping on you.

Nice stands Killer Bee. In hindsight I'd have picked those up, but I ended up with various sizes of these. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...1758_200641758
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-18-2018 at 01:25 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote