View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #58
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Good job on the repair, That cab looks pretty slick especially for being in NY. Congrats on the welder upgrade. I upgraded my setup too but all I had to do was buy a kit and get a bottle since my hobart was made with the option of adding shielding gas. It is so much more user friendly than flux core on sheet metal. I had to replace that part of my floor and I am going to put a few short beads across the top of the seam as well because every one of these trucks I and my friends have owned the spot welds were separated. Later
Thanks! The repair job is nowhere near perfect and to be honest, I am not 100% sure I would be comfortable driving it like that. What I wanted to do all along, and I think I am still going to do this, is cut a section of the floor from my original cab, and replace the damaged part of this cab with it. Hearing you tell me about it separating does not make me feel any better.

My theory is that if I cut and weld in a piece of metal from my original cab floor along with part of the firewall, retaining the original seam between the floor and firewall, that is probably better than what we already did. What do you think?

The work has been intimidating me a bit, but I have finally brought myself to see that it is only the floor and cab corners, and not really that big of a deal when you really think about it.

I did discover that there is a little more work than I thought, although it is not surprising, and I am going to post with photos in a minute.

Working with heating the metal to bend it has been a learning experience, and my friend and I got to try some stuff we have not done before, so it was pretty cool, even if I am going to basically cut out everything we did.

I am learning that welding the truck and practicing welding on scrap metal are two very different things as you will see in my next post.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote