View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #72
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Re: Finally starting my Longhorn 4x4 conversion

Well, I finally drug the ol Longhorn out of the weeds and got some progess made on it. I was hoping to have it driveable under its own power to the All Truck Nats in KC last weekend, but it didn't happen though. But, I did still take it there, and we had a great time.

I drug the truck in the shop on Saturday the 3rd of September, and the truck show was the weekend of Friday the 10th-12th. So I didn't give myself a lot of time. Ok here we go.

Once I got my mind made up on working on the truck again, I started to gather parts up for the truck. The engine I originally had in this is going in my 76 since I want to sell it and keep the Longhorn. So I drug out an engine of my brother's that needed work. It is a 1990 5.9 that came from a Case Magnum tractor. It was VE rotary pumped, and the head was off of it. My dad rebuilt a head for me, and my brother tore the engine down to start the p-pump swap. His engine has very large air mixture bowls so that will help with allowing a big injector and some big timing without killing the head gasket. Then I started measuring to see how my ford D60 front was going to fit. Well, it flat out wouldn't without a lot of modifying the the chevy chassis. The ford D60 is 5" wider than the chevy D60. I know the 79 D60 will fit, but I sold the only one of those I had this spring. Seeing how I was on the hunt for a coupler for my NP205, I called up one of my buddies and purchased a D60, auto trans and a NP205 all from a 92 dodge cummins truck.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote