View Single Post
Old 10-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #106
MTCK

Re: 1991 V3500 Project Heavy Hauler

Thanks for the info Larry. Good call on the different pumps - I would have ordered the wrong ones. I'm having a hard time figuring out why the valve you had was causing that much pressure. I wonder if you got a bad unit? Fuel return volume should only be a function of the fuel pump, pressure at the regulator, head loss through the lines and fuel used by the engine. The higher the pressure at your regulator, the lower the flow as the pump has to work harder. I suppose if you have a large diameter return line all the way to the valve then necked down that could cause some increase in pressure. 10mm ID is about 1.5 the cross sectional area of a 5/16" ID.

I'll do some more research and maybe even a little trial and error. I am interested in the wiring for a three tank system that was shown on that schematic. 80 gallons would definitely get me to the next station, and it would be nice to not mess with transfer pumps. I always forgot to turn mine off on my '77, as I had a system very similar to yours. $4/ gallon fuel all over the road!

Winter is here. I was waiting for a dump trailer to come available but it never did, so I hauled off most of the spoils from my grubbing project with the pickup. It was easy to load and a son of a gun to shovel out. I guessed the mix of roots and organics and dirt was much lighter than it really was. Still had about 3" of up travel to the bump stops with this load, but went over GVW by quite a bit. Whoops. Rides like a Cadillac with 3 tons in the back. Surprisingly the weight over the front axle was only about 500 lbs. more than when the truck was empty. That means I had almost 9k over the rear axle. The tires were cool but I won't do that again, even if it was just a couple miles across town.

I took the mini ex back this morning and the boost feature on the brake controller worked great. It was much more solid feeling while braking, even though the roads were slick. $$ well spent in my opinion.
Attached Images

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote