View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #106
jbjburbs

Re: 1948 Suburban - finishing what dad started...

For the record -injectors are new, opti spark is new, plugs and wires are new.

After checking things we found a couple vacuum line in the wrong place and one left open. Then a loose plug wire, but even after fixing those not much change. More troubleshooting found that we had a couple cylinders that weren't firing. We had spark and fuel, so checked rocker arms and found them over tightened not letting the valves work. Luckily, once we backed them off and got them set right the engine purred like kitten. Much smoother, better idle and acceleration, along with improved shifting at speed. Pretty excited about how well it's running right now.

Also, one of the vacuums was the brake vacuum in the wrong place. This helped the pedal feel much better. We ran out of time to check for air in the lines, but overall foot feel is much improved. Of course fixing things meant something else had to creep up, and now the power steering started making noise. Groans pretty hard when turning, so we topped it off (it had fluid). Reservoir looks frothy, so hopefully just air in the system that we can work out next time we have the front in the air. I'll probably order a replacement pump just to have on hand though.

I did get the speakers in too. Just a couple 4" speakers in the existing holes under the windows. Decent sound or at least enough for now. Will probably do more over the winter. Current goals are getting it cruise worthy for the rest of car season and music is optional when you're in a hot rod.

Some pics of progress and my 85 hanging out with 48.
Attached Images

Dad's 1948 Suburban -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563150

Bagged 1995 Suburban - SOLD
Bodied 1995 Tahoe -SOLD
jbjburbs is offline   Reply With Quote