View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #31
NathenMyers

Re: 72 GMC Longbed Duramax Swap

Hey guys!!

ok, update, but no pictures. Also! a couple questions!

I drove from Louisville to Hicksville, OH to visit "Hicksville Auto Recyclers" (facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/HicksvilleA...yclers?fref=ts) for some help with my transmission issues. They said that they do 2WD to 4WD Conversions all the time, it's also where i got my 2WD tailshaft and housing. I arrived and was blown away by this establishment.

Fellas i'll tell you what, that place was super awesome. it was a building probably... same size as your standard Kroger. Basically it's an indoor JunkYard. They deal pretty much exclusively in Duramax truck parts. I saw probably...30 engines, and probably twice that in transmissions and transfer cases just sitting on shelves. Rows and Rows of misc other parts.

they said a duramax rearend will run me about $750. The cheapest I've found elsewhere is closer to 1500.

I got to talk to one of their engine dudes, and he really helped me with some questions on wiring that i had.

I pulled the Allison out of the trunk of my car, and Jake "Stu" Sterwart helped me. It turns out. I'm ignorant, and the transmission guy that I took it to at home just had no idea what was going on inside of an Allison. Because Stu just set everything i had together, tightened it down, and boom. Everything was put together properly. I had all of the parts that i required, i just couldn't get them to fit quite correctly!

Got it home, and this weekend got the torque converter in it, and the tranny connected to the engine. So now, everything is in it.

I have to build the tranny hump. Put the doghouse on. and get the Cab (with all of the wiring) from the duramax parts truck from the junkyard next weekend.

Now my questions!

1. When you guys moved the gas tank out of the cab, What kind of fuel cell did you guys get? Did you guys just get one from LMC and call it good?

2. Those of you that have done Duramax Swaps, what did you guys do for Fuel pumps? Since i'm not using a tank/pump set up from the Parts truck, what did you guys do about your pump? also, do you guys know what kind of fuel pressure i would need? (forgive me if these are a couple ignorant questions. i figured i would start here and then move on if none of you guys had an answer off the top of your heads)

3. I can get the steering column from the parts truck, but i hate the look of a new style steering column and wheel in an old cab. Ideas? i recognize that it's my project, and it feels lazy to ask! but, of you guys that already did a Duramax swap, what's somethign that you did, that if you were doing it again, you WOULDNT do?

Thanks guys!!!i appreciate your suggestions and help!!
NathenMyers is offline   Reply With Quote