View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #59
Guam671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasted Income View Post
Rob...a few questions regarding my install on my wide-ride for my 72 K/5.

First a bit of feedback. The instructions that come with the kit are very lacking when it comes to specifics for the 63-87 kit. The printed instructions, as well as the DVD are centered around 50s chevy truck installations, which are significantly different than the later trucks (boxing plates, specific measurements, etc).

As such, I've had to rely on the photos in this thread to guide me along thus far.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=507066&page=2

1) Judging by these two photos, it appears as though I have the upper arms on backwards.

My upper arm (driver side)

Can you confirm this is installed on the wrong side?

2) What is the wheel travel supposed to be for this suspension? I am only getting about 3-3.5" of vertical travel at the spindle shaft before the front of the lower arm contacts the crossmember and limits upward travel. On downward travel, the balljoint binds, and limits the travel. Thoughts?

All the way "down"

You can kind of see how the lower balljoint is binding up and limiting downward movement.

All the way "up" with the lower arm contacting the crossmember.

Like i mentioned, from all the way "down" to "up" the travel at the spindle shaft is about 3.5". Seems to me that it should be more?

3) I am mocking it up right now, with spindles attached, so that I can locate the crossmember relative to axle center line (there are no holes that line up, since this is a 4x4 frame). Is there a location on the crossmember that is coincident with the centerline of the spindle (wheel centerline)? I have my frame marked, but if I had a spot on the crossmember to line up, without having to project the spindle back to the frame, I'd feel much more comfortable about my measurements before I start drilling holes.

An example of what I'm asking for is below.

For instance if we say that the red line that passes thru the balljoint grease zerk is coincident with the axis of the spindle shaft, can you provide a measurement on the crossmember that would help locate the centerline of the axle on the frame? Assuming it's solid modeled, it should be an extremely easy number to find.

4) Does the 63-87 kit come with the stainless braide brake lines that are shown in the kit for the earlier trucks? My kit doesn't have them, and was just wondering if that's by design, or if they were left out?

I hope you don't mind me posting this here instead of PMing or calling, but I figured anyone else in the future who runs into similar problems might be helped out by it.

Thanks Rob,
Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device
Guam671 is offline   Reply With Quote