View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 03:09 AM   #193
Super_Dave

Re: 1974 C20 Soon to become a project...

We spent a lot of time fighting the wing windows, trying to test fitting them so we could mock up the power mirrors to trace bolt hole locations. Never did get a nice fit on the wing windows after an hour+ of two people working on them.

Too dang hot. Will wait for another trip to spend more time on them. It's really tough having the truck 90 miles away with a 3-4 round trip just to spend a couple hours on the truck. Really makes it hard to troubleshoot problems.

Not sure we are doing it "correctly" and don't have anything to compare to up close. I think we might be pinching the new rubber in one or more places and not getting a good fit on the lower, rounded corner.

I opened the wing and got some more"flex" in the frame that made the fit better, but then I couldn't get the wing to close to save my life . . the pointed top corner would drop down when opened and I would have to push that corner of the glass up and pull the wing in.

Eventually had to pull the assembly out, get the wing to close, latch it, and without opening it, mock up the mirrors - - which ride against the wing frame. . . so getting the fit correct before drilling three new holes in my smooth doors, is really critical. Wish I had a better Idea what I am doing wrong.

I remember a video I watch a year or so ago, where they said that some of the rubber might need to be trimmed. . . don't know if that's part of what I am up against or not. The images show some of the trouble spots and some of the rubber I "think" I might need to trim. . . I just don't really know right now and need to have more time to thrash on them.

If anyone has any insights, please chime in. These wings are really nice and I desperately need to get them in correctly.
Attached Images

"Life is tough - wear a cup!"
"Old Enough to Know Better - Too Young to Resist"
"Junk is something you will need three weeks after you throw it away."
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote