View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Thanks so much Orrie for the input. Its already been 90 degrees here a few days so I'm planning on putting 20w-50 in it right away. It's neverf going to see highway or a lot of use. This will be a weekend Home Depot-run driver and play toy. I have a soft spot for 283's too because I helped my Dad install his in place of the original six on his '59 when I was probably 10 years old. Later he replaced it with a 348 and though very powerful it nevr ran as nicely as the 283. Mine has a bit of a cam in it so I'll be running premium in it. No idea if the valve seats were changed out of not. Guess I'll find out!

For all the work I've done to cars I sheepishly admit I've never change tranny fluid before. I know I drain, drop the pan and clean the screen. Any trick to that other than make sure it's totally clean? Any particular gasket or gasket sealant recommended? Tranny has an old Hurst shifter that too short on it. I'll eventually put a Lokar on it, in the mean time I need to take the cover off and clean and lube it. White moly grease okay for this?

I'm also looking for pix of clean PAINTED small blocks as I'm gonna clean this thing up (Krylon rebuild!) and NOT spend money for finned valve covers, etc like I want to in the short term.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote