Thread: Building my 283
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 09:33 PM   #9
68Gold/white

Re: Building my 283

I built my 283 for my 67 Bel Air (my first car, a 4 door...) The car came with the 283 (only 2 bbl in 67) powerglide, hub caps, and thats about it, nothing power, had 4 wheel drum sucky brakes...

It got about 20 MPG stock, pinged under heavy acceleration, power was non-existent. I thought I could be a smart person and build the 283, maybe get 25 MPG...that never happened...but lots of other good things DID happen.

Engine was bored and honed(.060) with a torque plate, had valve guides replaced, used good valves, however not stainless. Crank train was balanced. I got a set of forged pistons from Sealed power, yes they were the most expensive, but worth every penny, even if this engine was just a driver.

My engine builder friend found a 4 bbl intake that Holley came out with back then. Topped it with a Holley 4 bbl carb (450 cfm) called an economaster (I don't think they make them any more....My cam was essentially the Sealed Power CS273, only in a Crane box. I performed some work on the ports. Not a lot is really need i port work. Taking sharp edges off the valve bowl area does help. The sharp edges in the chambers were knocked down, as were the sharp edges on the piston tops...My heads were the stock heads that came on the 283, I believe 552's, the last variation of the Power Pack heads (I believe...)

My engine builder had a dyno, so I paid the $$$ for testing...His power ratings were net, with nothing fluffed up. My engine made 200 HP. Doesn't sound like much. Most HP numbers tossed around these days are NOT net numbers. He experimented with stock ram horn exh manifolds, 4 tube headers, and a set of try-Y headers. That was interesting. On the small (remember, small) 283 engine the power numbers were all within 4 HP. My engine builder said the airflow through the engine was not enough to take advantage of the headers (yes, I used the manifolds on my car!)

I put about 175,000 miles on this car (obviously my daily driver...). I experimented with several intakes and carbs. The dyno intake and carb got 20 MPG, but a LOT more power and drive-ability, But still nothing overly exciting...

I have read from others here that have used Quadrajets on 283's with great success, I had difficulty tuning them. Part throttle to full throttle transition was always a problem. BUT, this was before the days of www.Cliffshighperformance.com I am sure he could of helped me get a Q-Jet perfected for my 283...

If your intake has 2 small holes and 2 large holes, that is a Quadrajet, intake, USE IT!!!
That stock intake is great for a 283, and really any small block engine, depending on the performance expectations of said engine...

One intake/carb setup that I never tried, but wanted to, was the larger Rochester 2BBL carb and intake that came on 350's and small block 400's, I think it would have made good power and got good MPG also...

Not to sour your thoughts of building an awesome 283, BUT if I had it to do again, I would have built a small block 400. My good friend built one for his 66 C10 at the same time I built my 283. THat 400 was nothing special, but ran AWESOMELY.

PM me if you have any questions....
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote