View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
RustyPile

Re: NEED HELP... where's the noise coming from??

Quote:
Originally Posted by '70_402 View Post
I have a growl/grind noise coming from what feels/sounds like the trans area of my truck when i let off the accelerator. This has been there since i swapped the LS and 4l80E into my truck... i have since completely rebuilt my transmission (new torque converter) and rear end. I have a new driveshaft that was built when i did the swap. Its only when i let off the gas.. i can roll on and off the throttle and it comes and goes. does it in gear and in neutral while coasting. I have trailing arm suspension so my pinion doesn't rotate while under/not under load....

The noise was there before and is still there through all the things i've changed out chasing this growl.

Any ideas???
It could be something as simple and normal as motor mount flex.. When you let off the gas, the mounts might be flexing just enough to allow an exhaust pipe, or some other component, touch the frame, thus amplifying a normal low level noise.. But that's just a guess on my part.

Diagnosing and locating the source of a noise over the internet is as difficult as emailing a piece of Mom's apple pie.. No matter how hard you try, you just can't do it.. All the posters have great intentions but they're just guessing. Nothing has been accomplished.. The worst thing you can do is throw some parts at it and hope "something sticks".. I suggest you take your truck to an experienced shop/mechanic and have them listen to it.. Then you'll know for sure..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote