View Single Post
Old 08-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Full wheel covers (hubcaps) anyone?

I can show pictures, not mine. But just 'wheelcovers' says it all. 'Full wheelcovers' is redundant because all wheel covers are full, they 'cover' the 'wheel'. People include everything under 'hubcap', even 'center caps' which are prominent now. For convenience places that sell this stuff are 'hubcap' businesses. They might also sell 'trim rings' under that name. But the exact meaning of 'hubcap' is the small cap that only covers the inner part of the wheel, aka dog dish, poverty, all are 'caps' not 'covers' and they 'cap' the 'hub'.

Anyway, I was always a performance/hot rodder guy, so wheelcovers were never my thing. Didn't even like Moon discs. But the appreciation of these as being from another time, me maturing (maybe), and liking the many approaches to these trucks, has allowed them to grow on me. But for me, gotta have the whitewalls. I don't remember ever seeing them w/o back in the day. Almost absolutely, with cars or trucks, I remember it was hubcaps & blackwalls or wheelcovers & whitewalls. Whitewalls cost extra and back then economic models were actually very popular.

Pictures? You wanted pictures?
Name:  IMG_3056.jpg
Views: 2695
Size:  46.6 KB
Name:  IMG_5235-3.jpg
Views: 2604
Size:  55.8 KB
Name:  stock gmc fenderside.jpg
Views: 2346
Size:  54.4 KB
Coverin' for my buddy now :
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-08-2018 at 09:04 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote