View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 AM   #105
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

I have been getting a few things done here and there. It is tough getting the gumption up to head outside when the temp is 287 degrees F in the shade. The needle on my swamp-ass-o-meter broke off a couple months ago and its done nothing but get hotter. I have been working on the vinyl floor and other interior type stuff, but I will discuss that once I have it figured out and/or done.

I got a front bumper on it. Mine was pretty destroyed from the frame shop, so I picked up a similarly weathered unit that looks like it has been on there for years. I did discover that it had to be notched to clear the '73-'80 tow hooks that I put on it. I knew it would need to be notched, but it was more than I expected. It ended up being about a one inch notch. No biggie for me, but if someone is viewing this as a cost effective alternative to the gold-plated correct hooks, just know that the bumper will need clearancing.

The parking brake cables on the 14FF were not going to work with the lift and the '72 brackets. I need to address this issue because I need a parking brake. The pinion seal has needed replacing for many years and I need to swap the original G80 Gov-Lock unit for an open carrier with a Detroit Locker in it. I guess it is time to tear into the rear axle.

I was glad to see the ring and pinion were in fantastic shape. The backlash was in spec, so no need to replace them. I pulled the carrier out and was going to go after the pinion seal. I was going to check the pinion preload, but decided against it because it woud have been a waste of time. There was some, but nowhere near enough to bother checking. Luckily, I had enough foresight to realize this would probably be the case and I had all the pinion bearings on hand. As I was pulling the pinion support out, the UPS dude showed up with my two crush sleeves and shim kit. I always have two crush sleeves on hand so I can get the preload right the first time. I found out years ago that if I have only one, I go past the specified preload and have to go get another crush sleeve. I got the pinion support assembled and installed. I got the Detroit installed, set the backlash and sealed it up.

Then I started on the parking brake cables. Years ago while killing time thumbing through a Delco catalog, I bought the longest brake cables with the two-bolt mounting that the 14 bolt uses. The are about five inches longer than the ones I have. I tried sizing them up, but they would not work. I had entertained the idea of converting to the crossover cable that the '83 and up use, but figured out a way to get these to work.

Length comparison:

I took the bracket that was bolted to the upper flange of the frame rail and was trying to figure out a way to make it work. It was not working well until I too the one from the right frame rail and tried it on the left side. BAM!! Right there. Perfect. A little bit of cutoff whell action with some welding thrown in and I have a bracket location that nets me about 13-14" of droop before the cable becomes a limiting strap. These springs will not be capable of anywhere near 14" of droop, so it should be fine.

While I was in there I changed out the one ton spring mounting plates and u-bolts for 3/4 ton plates/u-bolts. 3/4 Ton units can be seen in previous pic.

So, nothing too exciting, but progress is being made--I can park it on a surface that is not flat now!!