View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #22
RestoreAmerica

Re: Painting "CHEVROLET" tailgate lettering

My experience was less than desirable.
I had that beautiful super quality painted tailgate that was clear coated also. I put on the white and expected to wet sand off the perimeter.
I ended up sanding through in more than one place. I made several attempts to fix it but ended up having to start all over on the front side.
Not fun getting that back down to a manageable surface with green, clear, and white in the letters.

I think those tailgates, with all the letter stamping are not very flat. The edges of the letters are high and it is easy to burn through. In a small area like the ridge of the letter it is very easy to burn through. I am sure that I could be accused of incompetent sanding, but I thought I was exercising caution. If taping off the letters was easy this thread would not exist. With that said, taping exactly on the edge of the high ridge is not feasible or would not allow the white to overlap to sand. When scuffing up the inside of the letters to accept paint, some of the clear obviously was removed from the high edge.

I just ordered letters from a source online. I will paint the white first this time, and cover with letters stuck to tape, then paint the green and clear the entire gate.

Neither side of the tailgate is easy to prepare. I think a much safer way to achieve the two tone painted logo is to start with the inside of the letters.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by RestoreAmerica; 06-11-2016 at 08:25 AM.
RestoreAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote