View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #10
76C10Stepside

Re: What Would YOU Do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker View Post
If it happens to all of your vehicles, it sounds like you are tightening your filters too tight.

I would recommend a wix 51036(long filter) or a wix 57040(short filter) or a wix .

The fuel pump relay mounted to the firewall. If you have A/C, the fuel pump relay is the one closest to the right(passenger side)

I would not unplug the relay. It has a redundant circuit that will supply power to the fuel pump once the engine has oil pressure(even with the relay removed). I would pull the fuel pump fuse, or unplug the fuel pump itself(3 wire connector at the top of the frame rail at the front of the bed), or use a test lead to supply power to the S terminal at the starter. I would do the last method, as that will also leave the ignition system disabled.
I always oil the seal and turn them 3/4 of a turn after contact as recommended. Of the many vehicles I've owned over the years with spin-on filters, only these two trucks have stuck this bad. I prefer the WIX filters too. This FRAM filter was just kicking around at just the right time.

Still have not been able get the old filter off. There is no room to work and all of my jacks are in storage. The filter body is very thin, and the filter is buried up in there. Even if I could chisel the can off, not sure I'd be able to get up there and put a drift on the metal plate. I saw a vid with 5 ways to get a filter off, and the only one I haven't tried is the "octopus". That gave me the idea of putting a couple of bolts through the end filter tool and the end of the canister. Was only able to get one bolt even part way in there. Just is no room to hammer anything, and the filter metal is super thin. I take it GM relocated the oil filter on later model to the fender well. Good idea. Wish mine was there.

Called a mobile mechanic that is going to try to stop by late in awhile. Maybe if we jack the truck up we'll be able to get at it.
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote