View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
hank scorpio

New Guy- grandpa's truck

First a bit of history. I grew up restoring first gen Firebirds from my Dad and other 60's Pontiacs and then around the time I graduated high school, I made kind of an odd pivot and got into building turbo Volvo's. I'm still a bit of a Volvo fanatic, they are fun for me because they don't really have the same kind of aftermarket following that bigger brands do. It's evolved from junkyard tech into many of us becoming adults who work in engineering fields and making amazing parts for those cars.

BUT... my Grandfather had this 64 C10 since 68. I've ridden in it many times as a kid and even though I'll admit, I'm a bit of an anti chevy snob (I *was* a Firebird guy after all) always had a soft spot for the trucks. Rebuilding this truck was my Dad's way to learn cars as a kid and Grandpa has kept this in the garage since he bought it. I literally have a log book with every tank of gas, maintenance etc dating from 68 to about 3 weeks ago.

Now for the sad part, I inherited this truck about 2 weeks ago. I'm thrilled to have it and glad there wasn't any drama around that but you know how it is. That being said, I know he was excited knowing that I'd keep it going for another 250k miles!

So I have plans for it but I'm also right in the middle of another Volvo build so I'm trying to avoid the cardinal sin of having two project cars apart at the same time LOL. I'll probably just continue to lurk around till I finish the other car up. OK, enough talking, here's some more pictures.

Original color there on the firewall. He had the truck painted in 69 by a buddy but it was clearly worth all of the 25 dollars he paid for the job That being said, doubled up paint is a lot of why the truck is so solid. Looks a lot better in these photos than the paint does in real life though

My own kids get to enjoy it too (4th generation to ride in this truck!)

Here's a few past adventures

My DD in high school

First turbo volvo

second. Believe it or not but this one dyno'd 453 at the wheels.

BTW the fun thing is my day job is www.kauerguitars.com so I'll have to build a matching guitar for the truck when it's done
Simpsons Nerd

Last edited by hank scorpio; 06-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.
hank scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote