View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #20
testerdahl

Re: No crank, power good throughout

Here is my lunch time update:

I started with the red battery cable at the firewall terminal and unplugged it as well as cleaned it. I then put a jumper on it and ran it straight to the switch. As I turned the switch it dropped the same amount on the multi-meter as it did when it came from the firewall.

I then went to the connection before the alternator and did the same test. It dropped the same then the battery died, again. Or so I thought.

I tested the battery and it was done to 8 volts. Barely enough to turn the starter. It occurred to me that maybe the battery wasn't getting recharged as after I jumped the truck. I then jumped the truck again and pulled off the negative terminal. The truck died immediately. Yippee! Alternator then.

Took the alternator back to the parts store and had them test it. They tested it twice and it came back with nothing wrong with it. "Perfect shape," said the parts guy.

Damn. Eating lunch and I'll get back at it.

I'll read through these posts as well and see what else I can trace down.

As it stands, the truck only starts when jumped. Won't turn over again on its own after a I wait a few minutes and dies when I pull off the negative battery cable. I've had the battery tested, starter replaced, alternator checked. I've run continuity checks on the grounds with my Power Probe. I'm taking a test light next and see if I get the same results.
testerdahl is offline   Reply With Quote