View Single Post
Old 05-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #91
crakarjax

Re: No Limit Trailing Arm Rear Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pitt View Post
I see that shock placement was already addressed but maybe you would consider input for future iterations or options.

Why not incorporate the coilover mounts into the trackbar mount and behind the axle? or at least on the c-notch brackets to bring them more vertical and closer to the rear axle?

Wouldnt this allow the shock to control compression and rebound more effeciently?

Of course doing either of those would severely limit exhaust routing for a rear mounted gas tank. I would rather have my exhaust exit in front of the rear axle personally.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I see it the shock can be tuned to perform the same no matter what angle it's at -- it's effectiveness is lessened at greater angles necessitating a stiffer shock for equivalent performance to a vertical shock. Angling the shock might make it easier to find a shock since it becomes longer, physically.

The downside to an angled shock that I can see is that as suspension travels, the shock angle changes. This results in a inconsistent shock performance throughout the suspension travel, as the performance varies with shock angle. On the other hand, maybe you want the shock's performance to vary in this way due to your suspension design. I have not seen any designs that claim to take this into consideration though.