View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #1
gigamanx

1949 Chevy with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

The project has begun with much help from this forum already. I've acquired my 1949 Chevy 3100 from Oklahoma and just sourced a 1988 S10 to swap. It wasn't my original plan, but after finding some issues with the 1949 that couldn't be overcome, my thrifty side has taken over and decided to do an S10 swap. Disassembly began 1-1-2017. Let's see how far I can get in 12 months!

This is about the point where I may have gotten in way over my head...

I have already seen head shaking from my biggest fan, my wife. She isn't sure this will ever be drivable which gives me more incentive to actually finish this project. Past projects have included a 180 gallon salt water aquarium and a custom motorcycle. I am beginning this journey with no fabrication experience and very little vehicle mechanics knowledge. I do, however, have an ample amount of ambition and flexibility. Both of which have already been applied to reaching rusty screws

--------- 1 year update October 1st 2017 -----------------

So here I am 1 year later from the first picture with my 3100 rolling up to the garage. Oddly enough, the truck doesn't look much different than that day but so much has changed. The S10 was taken apart down to the frame and suspension. New mounts fabricated while I also taught myself to weld. A V8 engine showed up mid year and I had to source a new transmission. The learning curve has been steep on both of those. I have learned SO much this year, not only on how to build a car, but how much less scary everything is once I had completed each step. I still believe the project is not for the faint of heart, but the rewards in self-confidence and pride are priceless.

As he sits now. Although it doesn't look like much of a car, it takes a few bolts to get all that sheet metal back on. Just waiting on some wiring and to hook up the front radiator.

Fitting the fenders before welding up all the new mounts

Getting some Vitamin D while using one of my most versatile one-man-job tools, the cherry picker. Not just for engines

The S10 broken down to the frame. Engine and transmission came out and the frame was cleaned up

The goal this winter is to drive again even if it means around the block for a shakedown. The goal for my October, 2018 update will be to show off a running, driving, truck. I think my biggest hurdles to get there right now are the airbag suspension setup and finishing the rear box. Almost all the work will be on the rear of the truck.

To date, I'm just under $9,000 for all the parts, engine, transmission, and the two trucks it took to get this far. Looking at an October 2018 update of a running driving truck means I am realistically at double my original timeframe of having it done within a year. Just reality of life with family, kids, work, and "adulting." Hopefully my reality can help set expectations for others thinking of taking on this project.

----------- Thanksgiving 2017 update -------
Just going to throw in how fast things can go once you have gained a little knowledge. My last major update would have been a bit under two months ago.

1. The engine was tuned and put in along with fluids for trans, radiator, and engine.
2. Electrical system basics are wired up and the steering and steering column were installed
3. Built a collector and exhaust pieces to connect the headers
4. Front fenders back on
5. Transmission tunnel fitted and tacked in.
6. In an afternoon, I had the box mounts built and now the bed box is positioned. Going to tackle running boards this week. Tomorrow (Wednesday) my daughter and I are going on the first maiden voyage outside the garage under the truck's own power. Wow I can't believe I can actually say that. It was my winter goal and I'm there before seeing the first snow flake

------------ Jan 24, 2018 The final update -------
She's finished. Driveable. Fairly safe...

Final steps included getting the inner fenders installed, wiring the headlights, and finding electrical gremlins. I built some gauges from the original 49' shell with the S10 speedometer and odometer.

Budget wise, I am at $7,888 including the rear 3 link and air ride system that hasn't been installed. That includes hocking what I could, scrimping where I could, craigslist gathering parts, and the original truck was an additional $4500 with delivery. I set out to spend $10,000 on the project, so I'm at $12,388 from start to finish.

-------------- October 2018 Update -------
Phase 2 of this build has begun...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=774242

Last edited by gigamanx; 10-30-2018 at 04:09 PM.
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote