View Single Post
Old 08-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #22
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 67-72 Chevy Truck fuel gauge diagnostics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I have a 35 gallon tank and it's a mother to drop. Couldn't I fill it up and check the reading on the sender?
I would of course check the gauge first and do this if it checks good.(30-45 ohm) LOL!
Have you pulled the tan wire from the sender off the fuel gauge in the fuse panel. It is located on the end of the panel in the center. Pull it off and turn on the key. The gauge needle should go past full to about the three o'clock position.

Next you want to run a ground wire to this terminal from any good ground. Go to the battery negative if you want to be sure. With the key on, the gauge should read dead empty.

If you have a multimeter like the one shown in this thread above, you can check the sending unit. Just connect the red lead to the wire and the black lead to the tank. You won't need the key on because you're reading resistance. The reading should be somewhere between 0 and 90 ohms. zero being empty and 90 being full. If you can do this as you're adding fuel you should see the meter resistance climb from where it's at to 90 ohms.

A failure to get the readings means either the sending unit is defective or the sending unit to tank ground is poor or the tank to frame ground is poor.

Read through Toms excellent posts above and you'll get the visual of all this, and you'll understand how the indicator system works.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.