Thread: Metal in oil
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
7 Devils

Re: Metal in oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by putnam00 View Post
I have changed my oil twice once in sept the oil plug was covered in super fine shavings, I know some is normal. When I changed it last weekend the oil plug again was covered in shavings and you could even see it in the oil. I know something is bad, could it be the oil pump? I have run about 20 psi when its cold and it will go past 40 it high rpms, but around valentines day i actually had the display say low oil pressure and ran really low, I stopped checked the oil and it was only 1/4 of a quart low. i restarted it and it was showing more pressure. it has just over 235,000 miles and runs good i have a picture of the oil shown

Attachment 1762565
At this point yes probably well on the way to smoked bearings. For future reference, this is a common problem with the LS based truck motors and the solution is a $4 dollar O-ring.
So the oil pickup tube has an O-ring that will develop cracks over time. When this happens the oil becomes aerated and begins losing oil pressure intermittently.
There are a couple tell tale signs. PM for more info.

Dan
55 GMC 371 2 1/2 ton. Upcoming project.
7 Devils is offline   Reply With Quote